Well what you may not know is that bone broth is super healthy for your dog too!
If you're like me, Marrow bones are a staple in our freezer. We get them as occasional treats after thawed and they are wonderful sources of Omega-3 calcium, iron, phosphorous, zinc, selenium, magnesium, manganese, and other mineral, as well as a wonderful source for Vitamin A.
Dogs not only love them they are very good for them nutritionally too!
During the winter months to take off the chill, Mum loves to make us a super healthy, wonderful post hike and agility treat. What is it? We call it Marrow Stew, but others call it the hot new trend Bone Broth!
If you'd like to make this yummy treat for your dog here is our recipe:
Marrow Stew/Bone Broth for Dogs
- Marrow bones (we get our marrow bones from Whole Foods. If you can't find marrow bones you can use chicken or turkey parts, necks and backs are are very good for this recipe!)
- 2 cups brown rice (pre-cooked)
- A nice handful of each:
- Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Water (filtered is best!)
- Cut the vegetables into chunk sized pieces. Put all the ingredients into a big 'ole stainless steel pot and fill with filtered water to cover. Cook on low heat for a couple of hours.
- Once cooked, remove the bones and extract the marrow and add back into the stew. Then throw out the bones, 'cause cooked bones aren't good for us pups!
- Pour into a stainless steel bowl and you've got a great Fall stew. And you can add a dollop of pure pumpkin puree, we love that!
Photo courtesy of Ben Beauchamp on Flickr.