Earth Day is a name used for two different observances, both held annually during spring in the northern hemisphere, and autumn in the southern hemisphere. These are intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment.
The United Nations celebrates an Earth Day each year on the March equinox, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969. A second Earth Day, which was founded by US politician Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in the late 1960s, is celebrated in many countries each year on April 22.
With over 74.8 million dogs in the US, it's a good bet that your pup is leaving their mark on the environment. So how can you help your pup be more green?
Here are some quick great tips you can do today and everyday!
- Flush the poo with your poo, or compost, and save the earth from the dreaded plastic bag.
- Buy only recycled or organic toys for your pup, or even better make your own. Reuse and keep your pup healthier and happier.
- Use only all natural fertilizers for your yard. Studies show that those nasty chemicals can have harmful effects on you and your pup.
- Feed your pup all natural and organic foods and treats to help them be healthier!
- When it's bath time use a doggie shampoo without those nasty chemical laden soaps.
- Plant a tree for your pup, and help the environment at the same time!
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning and household products for a healthier pet and environment.
- Subscribe to "Raise a Green Dog" to keep up to date on helping my pup to go green!
- Read the book "Holistic Guide to a Healthy Dog" - keep it on hand to reference and loan to my friends to help them learn more about keeping their pup healthy and happy.
- Keep your pup on a leash and from unnecessarily killing wildlife. And be safe and stylish with a Hemp dog Collar from EarthDog!
- Check out the new book Eco Dog: Healthy Living for Your Pet for some great tips on being more green.
- Make your next dog bed, stylish and fun!
- Sign up for IdealBite - a free environmentally friendly tip in your inbox everday!
- Learn about Earth Day and how you can help the environment.
- Calculate your carbon footprint.
- Find Earth Day events to attend in your area.
- Add a tip on how you are going to positively impact the environment on Google's share map.
- Learn more about how you can help your pup go green.