What is Earth Day?
"Earth Day is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year. Earth Day is celebrated in spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. Many communities celebrate Earth Week, an entire week of activities focused on environmental issues." ~ Wikipedia
We want to inspire you to take one Green Dog step toward a healthier, happier dog and environment today!
Here are some great ideas you may want to try in honor of Earth Day. And remember, it only takes one small Green Dog step at a time and before you know it your dog is living the Green Dog life!
- Take your pup to one of the local Earth Day celebrations being held all over the country today and this week and learn from and meet wonderful, like-minded people that share your passion for keeping our Earth more friendly. And you can get in some fun socialization for your dog at the same time. Just do a quick Google search with Earth Day and your city or town.
- Plant a tree in honor of your dog in your yard, or at your local dog park, or a place that's near and dear to you and your pup.
- Visit your local animal shelter, and take a pup for a walk! Many pups in shelters are much more happy, healthy and likely to get adopted if they are properly socialized and exercised. We suggest you call first and arrange how you can help!
- It's planting season so why not start an organic garden for you and your dog! Check out our recent blog post for lots of ideas to get started.
- Appreciate our Earth! This may be one of our favorite ideas. Take some time today or over the weekend and get outdoors with your dog! Take a long walk in the park, or a nice hike. And remember after all that exercise, stop, look, listen, smell and take in all that our Earth has to offer.
- One of the most important things you can do for your dog and the environment is turn your lawn organic. Your dog spends most of their outdoor time in your yard, so why not make it a safe haven? Learn more.
- Take the day and make your pup a toy from reused items around your home. You can make a great tug toy from old towels, interactive toys from used BPA free water bottles and much more! Visit the 'Learn to Be Green' section of our website for lots of ideas (scroll to the bottom).
- Learn how you can reduce your dog's carbon pawprint by recycling their dog food bags, or by composting their doo. Learn how, it's a lot easier than you think.
- Subscribe to Raise A Green Dog and get updates to help the environment and your pup live a healthier, happier life! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
And remember, if you can't participate today, make your Earth Day one day this weekend. From then on...make Earth Day, every day!Google